Saturday, April 4, 2009

Costa Rica!


The first three days we stayed with families in a small town (very small) about 2 hours from San Jose. The houses, for the most part, are not entirely enclosed. The walls go up and stop. The tin roof hovers over the walls about 12 inches or so. This allows for air to move through the house (that and the always open doors!). At first I had trepidation about it (the bugs!) but i got used to it and appreciated the moving air. I even got so i didn't mind the geckos that ran in and out, although i worried that the one in my bedroom would explore my bed at night.

So much to tell, but let's start with the animals and birds: howler monkeys jumping in the trees overhead as we soaked in the hot springs of the Arenal volcano; brilliantly colored birds in the trees next to our eating platform at the rainforest campground; a giant toad leaping away from me as i stepped out of my tent at the same campground; toucans and toucanettes! and a plethora of bugs that students kept finding and bringing around to show everyone. Also, in town, the dogs that are all allowed to run free - vastly different personalities from our babied and indulged house pets!

(in the picture above, that is me on the far left, in the black and white dress.)

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Yay! You're back to the blog! This is good news indeed. Also, I love hearing the tales of Costa Rica. I want Katie to write down all her memories before they vanish...

And tomorrow is your birthday! Yay again! You don't have to go to school on your birthday! How did you manage to work that out?

amyonymous said...

i worked hard to get my birthday off! (lol) just lucky, i guess.

i'll post more costa rica stuff.

amyonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bathmate said...

So nice your posting.
Everything looks good in your posting.
That will be necessary for all. Thanks for your posting.
Bathmate