Thursday, July 5, 2007

there, there

I cannot even read the front page of the LA Times anymore. Libby gets a pardon, Cheney is a rogue politician, our mayor has an affair (which i don't care about, but the moralizing public does and so he's ruined), and there are more contractors working in Iraq than soldiers. I didn't even read that last article, but then I find I can't read anything about Iraq. It's all too painful and quite reminds me of the Vietnam war. Look, I'm even using upper-case letters in this post, so obviously, I'm upset.

And if I turn to the California section, I get what I call the "dead baby" news. One story after another about kids dying in car accidents, at the hands of family members, in swimming pools, in hot cars. Also too depressing.

So I read the Calendar and then I feel remiss, because those asshole owners of the Times have decided that people in LA don't need foreign news, that they just need entertainment news. And here I am, proving them right.

But it's not that I want entertainment news and don't want foreign news. I just can't take the feeling of helplessness whenever I have to confront more of the ineptness and evilness of this administration, and the horrors of the Iraq war. There's always that tendency to say, "somebody needs to do something." I just don't know who that somebody is, and I don't know what I can do (besides the money I send to organizations). So I will read Calendar, and the comics, and do the sudoku until 2008 when hopefully a new president will rise from the ashes of this current administration and offer hope.

on itunes right now: incongruously, the white stripes, "hotel yorba"

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I feel the same way about reading the paper. But not reading it feels like the wrong option. I gots to know what's up.

Now I have two friends with kids in Iraq. That is the craziest. No wait, one's in, flying Blackhawks, and the other will go in a while. Sheesh.

I hate our president.