Thursday, September 4, 2008

flotsam

school has started and i think i'm going to be okay. the new ninth grade class is perky and sweet. the monster as metaphor class is small (and rylan is in it) and the discussions look like they will be interesting. The postmodern lit class is wonderful, filled (really filled) with lots of smart kids and a couple of divergent thinkers who always give thought-provoking opinions.

then there is creative writing. a large class, but sincere. what i like most about this class is that i have to be creative with them!

i am still on radiohead time. whatever that is. i keep playing "in rainbows" when no one is in the classroom and i have my computer background screen set with photos from the concert.

here is a line from our illustrious president, captured by one of my students: "His arm is broken but not his honor."

huh???

another day i will tackle the sarah palin thing but i can't stand thinking about her right now.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I identify strongly with your feelings about Palin. I, too, want to dig up every rotten thing about her to fulfill my desire to see her drummed out of political life, but it's so frickin' depressing to see the people who think she's great. Even the Tina Fey impression bothers me.

Your classes sound great. I have to admit they make me jealous. We are starting The Crucible and while I love that play, it is hard to teach to many middle school students.

It is also interesting to me to be in the building where I first began teaching. I remember moments from certain discussions with high school kids very, very fondly.