Sunday, September 21, 2008

songs with names

yeah, names. as in the name of an individual person. a student of mine, Giulia, had never heard the Beatles song, Julia. So I played it for her and she was pleased that it was such a beautiful song.

what do i get? Amy - "Amy, what you gonna do. I wish I could stay with you for a while, maybe longer if i do." band was the Pure Prairie League, a country-rock band in the 70's. it was corny and i hated it. still do.

i have better luck with my middle name. it's Lola. So I get "whatever Lola wants, Lola gets," from the Damn Yankees. And from the Kinks, "L-O-L-A, Lola, lo-lo-lo-lo-lola." you know, "she walks like a woman but talks like a man, oh my Lola."

i like those. those are good. now if only someone would write a better Amy song.

8 comments:

Tim F said...

Just tweak some existing songs until they suit your purposes. So you get 'Amy Dreamers' by Kate Bush. Or Dusty Springfield's 'Amy Coloring Book'. Or even 'The Wind Cries Amy' by Jimi Hendrix.

amyonymous said...

oh. wow. what a good idea! i like the hendrix one. now i have to go through my playlist and look for name-songs, and see which ones can be changed. then coerce my son to play them for me the "new" way.

thanks, Tim!

9/10ths Full of Penguins said...

You know, I've racked my brains and can't think of a single song that has my name in the title.

If anyone knows any songs with 'Lee' in title....

amyonymous said...

a quick check on itunes found a song called "lee" by Tenacious D. might not be one you would be proud of. or maybe you would......

Tim F said...

'Stagger Lee'?

Lisa said...

What about "Me and Mrs. Jones"? That's a good one!

Anonymous said...

Here is a huge list of Girls names in songs, including a fair amount of songs with Amy.

http://everysongsaboutagirl.com/

ginnibeam said...

http://www.ginnibeam.net/list.php?listID=3

I have plenty of Amy songs in there. :)