Thursday, January 25, 2007

the blackbird is involved


one novel is out being looked at by an agent. another novel is in my hands.

loralie.

it is instructive to edit this now that i've been through the ok computer novel so thoroughly. i have a better idea of what this needs (more dialogue!) and how to improve it.

loralie is my punk-rock musician with the secret family past - she doesn't know the secret, but it is affecting her life. she meets and marries this cool musician, an armenian guy in glendale (shades of "system of a down") which is a good thing. but she has to face her demons which is very nearly a very bad thing.

on itunes right now: fake plastic trees (acoustic)

and poetry - has been escaping me lately. so here's wallace stevens. #8 in 13 ways of looking at a blackbird:

I know noble accents
and lucid, inescapable rhythms;
but i know, too,
that the blackbird is involved
in what i know.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

That is a cool poem. Thank you. I also enjoyed your comments about your finals. There is the goodness of being a teacher. It is not (really) in these hours of writing evaluations. That is a weird and difficult thing, judging another. I mean it doesn't come naturally to me. Maybe that is a good sign, or my cosmic penance. I dont' know.

I had my carpet cleaned this afternoon and now you almost wouldn't know a dog lives here.